Brand Name: PainStop 250,
250 mg Capsule
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug
Each capsule contains:
Mefenamic Acid, USP..................................250 mg
Mefenamic Acid (PainStop 250) is a size 0 hard gelatin capsule with light-blue cap and white body.
WHAT IS IN THE MEDICINE
The Mefenamic Acid active ingredient is a member of a fenamate group of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs). It exhibits anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic activities and also inhibits the prostaglandin synthetase.
WHAT IS THIS MEDICINE USED FOR?
Mefenamic Acid (PainStop 250), an anthranilic acid derivative is an NSAID, although its anti-inflammatory properties are considered to be minor. It is used in mild to moderate pain including headache, dental pain, postoperative and postpartum pain and dysmenorrhea, in musculoskeletal and joint disorders such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and in menorrhagia.
HOW MUCH AND HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU USE THIS MEDICINE?
Like other NSAIDs, the lowest effective dose of Mefenamic Acid should be used for shortest possible time and taken orally with food or immediately after meals.
• For mild to moderate pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Dental Pain, Post-operative Pain,
dysmenorrhea and Menorrhagia: 1 to 2 capsules every 8 hours until the symptoms stop.
• Avoid giving this medicine to children younger than 14 years old.
• Avoid giving this medicine for more than 7 days unless directed by a physician or a dentist.
CARE THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN WHEN TAKING THIS MEDICINE?
Precaution with Mefenamic Acid usage must be considered by patients with known Cardiovascular disease or risk factors for Cardiovascular disease, history of Gastrointestinal (G.I.) bleeding or peptic ulceration, fluid retention or heart failure, renal and hepatic impairment and pregnancy and lactation.
WHAT OTHER MEDICINE OR FOOD SHOULD BE AVOIDED WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICINE
As an NSAID, the following interactions with Mefenamic Acid include:
• Enhancement of the effects of oral anticoagulants (especially by azapropazone and phenylbutazone).
• Increased plasma concentrations of lithium, methotrexate and cardiac glycosides.
• The risk of nephrotoxicity may be increased if given with ACE inhibitors, ciclosporin, tacrolimus or diuretics.
• Effects on renal function may lead to reduced excretion of some drugs.
• Increased risk of hyperkalemia with ACE inhibitors and some diuretics, including potassium-sparing diuretics.
• The antihypertensive effects of some antihypertensives including ACE inhibitors, beta blockers and diuretics may be reduced.
Therefore, do not take this product together with the above mentioned drugs with interaction with Mefenamic Acid.
Always tell your physician about the other drugs or medicines you are taking.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU MISS A DOSE?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for your next dose skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU HAVE TAKEN MORE THAN THE RECOMMENDED DOSAGE?
If overdose is suspected, immediately consult a physician, other healthcare professionals or contact the nearest hospital.
HOW SHOULD YOU KEEP THIS MEDICINE?
Store at temperatures not exceeding 30°C.
KEEP OUT OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
Seek medical attention at the first sign of any adverse drug reaction.
Mefenamic Acid (PainStop250) 250 mg capsule box of 10’s SRP Php 20.00
Mefenamic Acid (PainStop250) 250 mg capsule box 30’s (in blister pack of 10’s) SRP Php 60.00